|I'm Interested in...||Building/Buying a New Home|
|Remodeling My Home|
|Home Repair & Maintenance|
Choosing a Contractor:
For many, choosing a contractor can be a intimidating experience… especially if you have experienced damage from a storm, fire or unexpected occurrence in your home and need to find someone quickly to do a job.
5 Quick Tips for picking a contractor:
1. Use a Professional… Professional contractors (builders/remodelers) who are members of the Home Builders Association of Lexington are required to use contracts, have proper insurance and they are required to take a minimum of 8 hours of continuing education annually in order to remain a member.
a. Questions to ask:
i. Are they a Member of the HBA of Lexington?
ii. Do they have General Liability Insurance and Workers Compensation ?
(this protects you and your property… and protects you if someone is hurt during the job)
iii. How long have they been in business?
iv. Will they maintain a clean and safe job site?
2. When possible, get competitive bids from at least 3 contractors. When comparing Bids… beware of the Extremely Low bids by comparison. Bids that seem to be too good to be true usually are …especially when compared to others you have received.
3. Referrals from Friends, Family and Neighbors are always good to have. Don’t have any referrals from folks you know… then ask the contractor for references that you can follow up on yourself.
4. Make Certain the Contractor is local.
a. Will they be here to complete the job and will they be around after their work is done for any follow up or future needs you may have.
b. Follow up to ensure that they are registered with the City/County (required in most jurisdictions).
c. Do they have a local physical address… not just a PO Box?
5. Will they guarantee the quality of their work with a warranty?
Tweets from HBA Members